Sunday, February 3, 2013

TBowers Week 4 Report

I've spent the majority of this week trying to integrate a unit testing framework into our existing code base. While Corona doesn't directly support (or endorse) any unit testing framework, there are a hand full of general Lua unit testing frameworks that have been tweaked to be used with Corona. I am currently experimenting with LunaTest and Lua-TestMore. LunaTest seems to be the more promising offering and that is where I am spending most of the time.

The second challenge is finding areas of our code that are suitable for unit testing. Right now, I am mostly testing what kind of tests the framework supports. Then I will have to refactor portions of our utility code to make it more suitable for unit testing.

While this has proven to be more of a challenge that I originally thought (having been spoiled by JUnit and Java development), I think it will pay off dividends in the future if we can successfully move to a test driven development model and ensure quality as future changes come in.

No comments:

Post a Comment