Sunday, February 3, 2013

Moving On

New Stuff

Spread Shot

Added a new ‘spread shot’ feature to the game.  First I tried to do it programmatically, which didn’t work as I thought it would.  Simply put – I was trying to use the same graphic image twice –both images had the same vertical axis but the horizontal axis would be slightly different for the individual shot.  Just couldn’t get it to work.

So, I created a new graphic which has three shots in it.  Looks nice, and is easier to control.  Here is a screen shot: 

New Enemy Plane


Added a new enemy plane which for now debuts in level 3:


This isn’t working as well as I wanted, and I’m going to have to put some more effort into it.  What I wanted to see was first the default red enemy planes, then my new planes, then the boss.  For right now that isn’t happening, the new planes don’t display – so for demonstration purposes I changed the ‘default’ enemy plane to the new one for this level.
Intro Level

I made some refactoring changes here as well.  First of all, I pulled in Jim’s code that provides more player ship movement - it now moves up and down on the screen as well as rotates in the direction of travel.  Looks a lot better this way. 

Travis had originally gotten rid of the health bar and the multiple lives for the intro; unfortunately they both got reintroduced due to the additional code.  Changes were made to again not display the health bar and the additional player lives.
Lua IDE’s

Downloaded and installed then started working with two Lua/Corona SDK IDE’s:

·         Corona Project Manager – now known as Outlaw

·         Cider – now known as Lua Glider

I’m more impressed with Glider but I’ll be playing with both off and on.  My original editor was TextPad which I still like – but it clearly does NOT have all the features a full blown IDE has.

One thing I liked about Lua Glider, and should see if Outlaw also has – Glider ‘understands’ Subversion.  I was able to look at the back history of modules (as long as comments were posted to the SVN commit).  Very nice feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment