Sunday, November 11, 2012

This Week's Progress

One of the items I worked on this week was to fix the bug in level 3, which was showing up only on restart, where the enemy ships did not appear. This was a logic flow problem that I had not noticed before IEric pointed it out to me). While I was fixing this problem I ran into other logic issues which I ended up fixing at the same time. For example, there was also a bug in level 2 where, after restarting, you advance to level 3 after shooting the enemy boss only 1 time. I fixed it so you now need to shoot the boss 5 times to advance, as intended.

Something else I worked on this week was I added explosion effects when enemy plans are killed. Ther eare 2 separate explosion sequences: the first that appears when an enemy plane is shot down; the other, which is a bit larger,  appears when an enemy boss is shot down. These effects are not quite as cool looking as I had hoped. Therefore, I hope to find a chance to revisit these at a later time to improve them and/or add other explosion effects. I implemented the code for these functions within the displayfunction.lua script. That should make it relatively straigtforward to improve upon, since the code is modularized to within just 2 separate functions in that single .lua file.

Another item worth mentioning for this week is the problem I came across when implementing more than one method with the same name (though in different .lua files). I found out that this throws an error. It sounds like you can get around this by removing (or destroying) the functions when you exit that .lua file. I have yet to test this. This was a difficult bug to figure out because the error messages gave me no clue that the problem was that I had 2 methods with the same name. This is one of the errors that our group has discussed: some of the error messages that Corona throws are difficult to interpret.

No comments:

Post a Comment